When it comes to fire, ‘Prevention is better than cure.’ Here are a few things we suggest you always do before leaving your property for an extended period. Here is a list of things you want to check before you leave,
More than 25,000 accidental house fires are electrical fires. Electrical appliances cause eight out of ten of these. Do not overload your plugs, especially with products that use a lot of electricity. Get into the habit of switching off any plug sockets when you are going out.
Ensure that you light your bonfires and fireworks at least 25 meter away from your house, trees, hedges, fences, shrubs, and sheds. Keep a bucket of water or sand nearby in case of ab emergencies is prudent.
Make certain that you keep the electric heaters at least three meters away from clothes or furniture. Switch it off whenever you are not in the house.
Never Leave Candles Burning At Home Or Outside
Many of us love the atmospheric light that candles give a room, for example in Halloween we put them inside pumpkins. However, they are a major cause of fires, so make sure you blow out candles when you leave the room and never leave them unattended with children or pets in case they get knocked over by mistake which may be a disaster.
Old clothes boxes, fur toys, newspapers etc. stored in garages or attics are all highly flammable. So, throw away or recycle unwanted things when you can.
Need expert help to test your smoke alarms before leaving. Call us on 512-980-3392 . Our technicians are available 24×7
Use copper wiring instead of aluminum wiring. If your property is over 50/60 years old it may have aluminum wiring. Aluminum wiring is a leading cause of electrical fires, as it cannot withstand the temperatures that copper wiring can.
Any cord and/or receptacle in the switchboard, which feels hot to the touch, or is damaged in any way can be hazardous.
Overloaded circuits are another fire risk. If a unit’s circuit breaker is constantly tripping, it means there are too many appliance on the same circuit. Additional circuits can be installed to distribute the power consumption properly.
Keep Highly Flammable Objects Away From Appliances (heaters, etc) And Outlets.
Make certain you have easy access to the fire extinguishers, and smoke detectors installed in the appropriate rooms. Most fire accidents take place during the night when people are sleeping. Smoke detectors are important to ensure safety if a fire were to occur at night. Try to have a escape route for emergency.
Unplug all useless appliances to protect your home from an electrical fire or power surge. This goes for large things like Television, but also for your toaster, your coffee maker, and other small appliances. We often leave our IPS, PC on when we leave home so take special care about them .
Give one of your trusted friend/relative a spare key and ask him to keep an eye on your property.
Visit to Catstrong LLC offers a wide range of protection appliances that could boost your fire safety and our experts can give you both 100% fire coverage and mental peace. You can email us at [email protected]